Tuesday, February 18, 2014

MoviesInYourSpareTime Post #1: Lone Survivor

After I watched all the Trailers of Lone Survivor, I decided, that I have to see this movie. So I did, and went to a movie theatre two weeks ago.

The Film Lone Survivor is based on the book and the experiences of its author Marcus Luttrell in the failed Navy SEAL's Team 10 mission "Operation Red Wings" on June 28, 2005, to capture and kill the Taliban Leader Ahmad Shah.
They send a 4-man team to capture or kill Shah. They are running into goat herders in the mountains. After deciding what to do, they set the herders free to leave home and leave the mission undone.
One of the herders runs down the mountain into the village and alarms the Taliban of their presence.
The small band is isolated from help and surrounded by a much larger force of Taliban ready for war. When they finally got support, the helicopter got shot and Luttrell got rescued by an non-Taliban villager and later by the military.



To be honest; I always herad about the actors of Lone Survivor, but I only saw movies with Marc Wahlberg and Alexander Ludwig, in which I was aware that they are playing in it. However; I was impressed by their good acting in this movie. In some scenes I nearly had the feeling to feel their pain, which they felt, too. Especially in the end, when Marcus Luttrell, played by Marc Wahlberg, removes fragments and bullets out of his leg.
It was one of the first movies in a long time, where I watched the whole movie, without getting distracted, because i was so focused, since the film was so exciting!

Unlike most of the soundtrack movies, where it seems the goals of the director is to chart high on ITunes, Lone Survivor quietly dares to be different.
The very little use of music and normally only instrumental music doesn't distract the atttention to the movie and also builds a tension. The music is playing in the most cases in the breaks between the shootings, when the members of the SEALs team have dialogues or someone or dies. The music for this movie is also very well chosen and always match the specific scenes, in which it is played.
The sound quality of Lone Survivor and the soundeffects for shootings, explosions, etc are very realistic.


All in all I give this movie 10 out of 10 points, because of the very good directing, acting and sound, but also the writing of the story.
















2 comments:

  1. Nice start here, Julius. Good work with exploring the plot, and it's clear that you really enjoyed the film. Maybe add more details about more cinematic elements you noticed, as well as an extended scene analysis--that'd be really interesting. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had also seen Lone Survivor and loved it! The lack of instrumental music that was replaced by the sounds of the men falling, gun shots, etc. really added to the emotional feel to the movie. I thought all the actors did a great job together and were very believable as soldiers. It is flabbergasting and saddening that this actually happened to these men. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete